July 19, 2009

Working List of New Kitchen Items

I was not surprised to learn that I needed to replace my wood cutting board. It is both made from a porous material and is too large to be washed in the dishwasher. However, I was initially surprised to learn I needed to replace my teflon pans. Had I thought about it, I might not have been so surprised. Teflon scratches easily, and gluten can get in the scratches and remain there to deposit itself into your food.

Here is my working list of new kitchen items I need to purchase. I had hoped to go this weekend, but given that I still need to thoroughly clean the kitchen, it's probably not a bad thing that this hasn't happened yet. For now, I am only eating things that can be prepared without cookware, made on a cleaned counter surface or the microwave.

I share our kitchen with my gluten-eating boyfriend, so a reorganization is also in order. We will probably keep all my food and kitchen items in one area. I am interested in finding more resources on sharing a kitchen, so that is a note to self.

It's my current understanding that glasses, plates, and silverware can be shared as long as they are thoroughly cleaned before use, and that the dishwasher is sufficient for this purpose. I'll be getting new pots of various sizes. Pots can get scratched when inappropriate mixing utensils are used and gluten can remain in these scratches.

The List
large metal pot (pasta, etc.)
medium metal pot (quinoa, rice, etc.)
small metal saucepan
medium skillet
(all pots and pans with no plastic handles)

tupperware in many sizes, at least 10 pieces
serving and mixing utensils
cutting boards

baking pans, assorted sizes
chip clips

Future List
This list contains items I will need to research more thoroughly before purchasing since I do not currently own any of them.
rice cooker
bread maker
crock pot

No comments:

Post a Comment